Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Good Night(stands), Sleep Tight

 I've been in the market for new nightstands for a couple of years.  We had purchased our bed, with the intentions of buying the nightstands and double dresser a piece at a time.  Well wouldn't know it? After carrying the bedroom suite for years (my parents have the same bed, so I know....lol), the furniture store discontinued the set.  So here I sat.  Beautiful new bed, that I had waited forever to get;  and nothing to go with it.

The bed had pretty clean lines.  It's a sleigh bed, but doesn't have a lot of decoration on it.  It does have two trimmed "panels" on the headboard; but it's done in a pretty minimalist fashion. Very un-ornate. KWIM?

I've been a fan of all things Mid Century Modern, since I purchased a Mengel chest of drawers about ten years ago for $10.  TEN BUCKS!!!  Some really well made furniture came out of this era.  The chest I bought, has little dividers built right into two of the five drawers.  (Someone out there knew the importance of things not touching. I bet they are out there right now, eating food off a tray  that has little tiny divisions to keep the peas away from the corn.)  

When I found this pair of nightstands at the "G", I got a little excited.  First of all, have you ever tried to find second hand nightstands?  It's hard. You either find people advertising endtables as night stands, so they tend to be a little shorter than today's beds.  Or you find a nightstand you really like, and it is a singleton. I've never understood why anyone would want just one.  Yeah, maybe if you were living by yourself, and there was just one of you.  But I see Craigslisters selling queen size beds all the time, with a single nightstand.  Can I tell you, that just messes with my OCD-ness? It has to be symmetrical.  It. Just. Has. To. Be.

Although I was kind of "meh" about the bamboo-y Hollywood Regency style, my thinking was; $24 bucks is stoopid cheap for a MATCHING set of nightstands.  STOOOOOPID, I tell ya!  And if I didn't like them, well it solved a problem for now, and I could just keep looking for something else.  You know it just kills me to stalk Craigslist and the "G" on a regular basis.  They did have the two elements that I wanted in a nightstand.....a shelf, and a drawer.

I'm not sure who made these nightstands, or when they were made; and believe me, I've tried to find them on line to no avail!  They have pretty clean lines, like MCM furniture, with bamboo accents like Hollywood Regency furniture.  Judging by the rattan accents, I'd say the seventies?  Who knows.  I'm NOT a furniture expert. But, can I just say.......







 I am in LUUUUURVE with them.  Although I was a little unsure at first, everyday I look at them and think about how much I love them.  I used a color called spiced cinnamon., basically it's a rust color.  I saw this picture on Pinterest, it had the blue that I had on the walls, with rusty colored accents.  I picked up a couple of new knobs from Hobby Lobby, and I was set.  Now all I need is a triple dresser or credenza of sorts to use as a TV stand.


So that's what's been keeping me busy lately.  Hope you enjoyed the view, ya'll!  

5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a super great job you did on those nightstands!!! I love the finished color of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing my butt off at your insistance for symmetry; my room ain't quirky like that. I have an old milking stool for a nightstand and poor Hubs has a dresser that is too tall to put anything on and reach it from the bed just by sitting up... except for the lip where the top dresser meets the bottom - enuff room for his phone.

    But you really prettied up your G-find nicely!!! I am suitably impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You did a fantastic job! TFS. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome find! I would have left them white and I really, really want one of them. Yes, just one. Maybe I can find some time tomorrow to run over to SA during lunch. LURVE yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job! Amazing what a little paint and some new hardware can do.
    I hear ya on the two nightstand dilemma. I think many bedroom suites come with only one. Ridiculous, really.

    ReplyDelete